ABTA Partner
Department of Health & Social Care

Founding member of LTIO

Certified LTIO

Travelling to the US?

Whether you’re going to the USA on holiday or business, it’s always an exciting place to visit. City or beach, mountains or lakes – there truly is something for everybody here, no matter what you’re looking for.

The US opened its doors again to fully-vaccinated Brits on the 8th November. If you’re planning a trip there, the first thing you’ll need to know is what kind of test you need and when you need to take it.

According to the CDC, you will need a pre-departure test. If you’re fully vaccinated, this can be taken within three days of departure. If you don’t qualify as fully vaccinated, you’ll need to take the test within one day of departure.

What test do I need?

Tests that will be accepted by the US include antigen lateral flow tests or nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). NAATs include RT-PCR tests and LAMP tests. The PCR tests that we offer at ExpressTest are RT-PCR and are therefore acceptable to use when travelling to the US.

Coming back

If you’re fully vaccinated, you’ll need to take a lateral flow test two days after you return.

If you’re aged 18 or over and not fully vaccinated, you will have to self-isolate for 10 days after arriving back in the UK.

You also need to:

  • take a PCR or lateral flow/antigen test in the three days before you travel to the UK
  • take a test on or before day two and day eight after you return.

You can also use Test to Release if you wish to shorten your quarantine time.